Your iPhone is the scene of the crime

Friday, 11 March 2011

If I asked you what a frequent visitor into my recent listening landscape was, what would you say? Some dancefloor stomper? Ridiculous synths and shit? The sound of fax machine? Turns out that "none of the above" is the answer. It is actually the glorious aural delight that is me doing the washing up which is lighting up my ears.

Thanks to the Inception App, the whoosh of water and clanging of pans has turned into a cascade of musical echoes that swirls around Hans Zimmer's orchestral work. As my lot in life seems to be some sort of fleshy C-3PO dishwashing machine, being able to clang pots about, mumble absolute nonsense into my iPhone's mic and have it make some sort of Orb-esque soundtrack means there is a small semblence of silver lining to this grind. (Disclaimer here is that those around you might not find your own sonic experimentations so enthralling and I recommend you engage some form of "I don't give a shit" mode regarding social behaviour.)

Every day life is now a sparkling spontaneous sensory joy to relish. Nothing quite the experience of seeing your boss sat at his desk having a VIP work conversation with a colleague, yet everything you hear coming from his mouth is playing backwards onto your eardrums. Sitting on a train, the "doors are going to open soon" beep suddenly becomes a cascading arpeggio, and you can smugly survey the array of mortals sitting with you in the knowledge that you have the special voices in your brain. Never voice that out loud.

There is a whole load of augmented reality twod to be had involving the GPS knowing you are travelling fast, being still, shaving bears or stirring your coffee anticlockwise. I'll leave this to you to fathom out as I will assume you don't need my intervention to live your life for you, denying you the satisfaction of experimentation and discovery.

The app is free from the store. I know how heart rendering parting with 59p can be in these uncertain times so you can PayPal me your gratitude at your leisure.