Nothing made me feel more like the aging human wreck that I am than sticking on Todd Terry's remix of Everything But The Girl at the work Christmas party. All of about two people seemed to remember what it was. HOW CAN YOU NOT KNOW IT? Do you kids not have any sense of HISTORY? A moment where a piece of floaty light House music became an anthem, Todd Terry pulling a rabbit out of the hat just as you thought he'd hit auto-pilot on his productions. Go learn your history you ridiculous youths, here. Look, it even has a terrible emo slideshow video to ease you in.
With that in mind, lets fast forward 328 years where I'm skipping through the recent-ish Phonique album for some choice cuts. I found it quite ironic that the stand out moment is a bonus track tagged on the end. Its not one of the many collaborations with the likes of HOSH and Gui Boratto, in fact it isn't even a Phonique track at all.
I've been partial to a bit of Phonique and Tigerskin individually in the past, Phonique coming from the deeper side of Tech House where Tigerskin keeps it sharper and more dancefloor. Together they have combined to craft one of the most uplifting, airy House music remixes I have heard in some time. Quite a breath of fresh air considering the Tech House climate is geared towards the tough and moody.
I've been partial to a bit of Phonique and Tigerskin individually in the past, Phonique coming from the deeper side of Tech House where Tigerskin keeps it sharper and more dancefloor. Together they have combined to craft one of the most uplifting, airy House music remixes I have heard in some time. Quite a breath of fresh air considering the Tech House climate is geared towards the tough and moody.
Catchy without being cheesy, vocal without resorting to cliche. My particular highlight being the part at 2:10 onwards which sounds like it could have been lifted straight from The Campfire Headphase (go on, just listen). As I've mentioned before, sound like Boards Of Canada and I'm ready to be impregnated and ready for nesting.
The sad thing about this discovery is that I have entirely shunted the Phonique album to one side just for this track, going to the lengths of hunting out a full on 12" daddy version for my latest mix. Ho well, some things you lose I guess. Now if you excuse me, I need to skip back to 2:10 again.