If Akai wish upon a star

Friday, 18 March 2011

Yo dawg, I heard you like keyboards so we put a keyboard inside your keyboard...
Adding to the list of man toys I don't need but desperately want is the Akai Synthstation 25. Look at it! How can you not want one? Essentially it is a standard MIDI controller with an iDevice dock inside it, meaning you can have proper MIDI control over apps like Nanostudio.

I wouldn't say it is the most fully featured MIDI controller I have ever seen, but that ability to just slip it into a bag along with your iThing and have a mobile music centre is living the dream people. From the looks of the screenshots, the area where you connect your phone appears to be slightly larger than the standard iPhone 3/4. Could we see support for Android devices, or is this forward planning for a larger iPhone 5? Don't be expecting to fit an iPad in here without the extensive use of scissors and glue though.

Checking around, you can get one for about £75, which is well within the realm of temptation for Captain Willpower here. Thinking about hibernating until my birthday.