Of little Consequence?

Monday, 25 April 2011

Dextro - Consequence Music

Having just upgraded my phone, the nightmare that is using iTunes has forced me to load my vanity slab with noise from scratch. This has led to one of those undiscovered gem moments as I sift through my bottomless archive in search of aurals to push away the misery of everyday life. This really is undiscovered in the purest sense too. Never have I come across a single mention of this LP by anyone other than myself yet it would fit perfectly in the collection of the shoegaze loving muso.

My first Dextro experience was on James Holden's Border Community outlet at a time when Progressive House was starting to push at the more creative end of the spectrum. I won't beat around the bush, the Dextro original felt OK at best while the MFA remix was the showcase sparkler. The write ups all pointed towards Dextro exploding onto the scene, time however painted a different picture.

Flick down the years a way and I stumble upon Consequence Music. Whatever was happening with Border Community seems to have fallen by the wayside for a home on a miscellaneous stable I've not heard of before. Now I won't beat around the bush, this may not be for all. This is VERY SERIOUS downtempo music for VERY SERIOUS people. File in the DJ Shadow cabinet of head nod. Case in point is Atman:


The choral bassline, piano and general width of sonics on show is spine tingling. Pure emo electronics. Just don't play it to anyone who likes Lady Gaga expecting them to share a musical affinity with you. Sadly my other highpoint appears to be missing from YouTube in its entirety, Calcutec:


Obviously a sign of an overlooked gem if someone hasn't repeatedly uploaded it with a slideshow of their local beach.

So, is Consequence Music as good as albums from such peers as Ulrich Schnauss, Boards Of Canada, Nosaj Thing? No. But it certainly is worth a few seconds of your time if only to populate your collection with a deviation from the norm.